Al-Qaim cement is a specialized plant, producing acid and salt resistant cement using dry method raw grinding. Incorporated under the name Iraqi General Cement Co. founded in 1936. Built by Uzinexportimport of Romania, the plant's annual capacity was around 1 million tons. Test production of regular cement commenced in 1989.
The plant temporarily stopped production after both Uzinexportimport and the plant's operating Indian company left in 1991. Al-Qaim resumed production again in 1993 then was converted to produce salt resistant cement in 1994 in response to the increasing demand of the Iraqi market. In August 2008, Al-Maysara General Trading Ltd took over the management and investment portfolio of the Al-Qaim cement for a renewable 15 year term whereby 25% of the plant's production share is allocated to the Iraqi General Cement Co. and 75% to Al-Maysara.